Saturday, May 17, 2014

No-Heat Beachy Waves

The textured, "beachy", wavy look is the perfect way to style your hair in summer, which is quite fortunate for fine-haired girls because curls give us a voluminous look. I'm lucky; my hair has some natural curl to it, but even so, I have a hard time getting it just right, especially since I stopped using hot tools. I discovered this method for perfect beachy waves by accident when I unpinned my rolled-up hairstyle at the end of the day and noticed that I had the delicate ringlets I always wanted.


I figured it was one of those flukes where your hair looks flawless right before you go to bed, but a few experiments and tweaks led to this amazing no-heat trick for perfect waves every time. Want beachy waves of your own? Read on!

Start with wet hair and make sure you have two hair clips on hand. Bobby pins will also work, but they can be more damaging to wet hair and they don't hold the rolls as well. Now grab a small section at your forehead, starting at your part, and twist it:
Grab a small section right next to that hair, again next to your part.
You're going to twist that around the first twist, so that the two blend together. In this picture you can see the two wefts of hair I twisted together:
Keep doing that until your roll is long enough to reach the back of your head, then clip in place.


Awesome! Now do the same thing to the other side:
Let your hair dry like this until it feels about 90% dry, then take it out and submit it to your blow dryer (after applying a heat protector, of course.) Once it's dry, roll it in exactly the way you just did and leave it for about 10 minutes. Unroll it and very gently comb it out with a wide-toothed comb. If you want it curlier, just roll it and leave it for another 10 minutes! Repeat until your waves are perfect.
Some days they come out more ringlet-y than others (today I washed my hair, so that may have influenced the texture) but it does give you a little volume boost. Happy curling!

Have you discovered a new way to add volume to fine hair? Simply want to rant about it for a while? Send an email to the editor at caleigh.cross[a]gmail.com or ping us on Twitter @FineHairDontCar!


No comments:

Post a Comment