Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Oil Crisis: Keeping Fine Hair Clean-Looking with Karolynn Cziszer


As someone with fine, oily hair, one of the most frustrating challenges is making my hair looking voluminous and avoiding looking like I just rubbed my head in a tub of Crisco. I have tried multiple ways of managing my mane over the years, getting more and more depressed after each failed attempt. After many hours of researching and watching YouTube videos on the subject, I've recently changed the way I manage my hair. I can honestly say that my hair has never looked and felt better and I have never gotten more compliments on it.


The first thing I do may seem like a faux-pas to many people, but I wash my hair every day. I've been told many times that this isn't good for your hair, but if I don't, I end up looking like I deep-condition with vegetable oil. I don't use a shampoo made for oily hair. Since I do have fine hair and I wash my hair daily anyway, I don't feel that I need it. I use a shampoo and conditioner targeted to add volume to my locks. I also do something a little different than most people would do. I condition my hair first (avoiding my roots – since they are oily already, I don't need to add any extra moisture there), then shampoo. I don't know why or how this works, but I saw it on a YouTube video and decided to try it out. Doing it this way leaves my hair looking less oily throughout the day and since they are products to make my hair look voluminous, it's an added bonus!

After a shower, I towel dry my hair as much as I can, then turn my head upside down and blow dry as normal. I then flip my hair up and down a few times (channel your inner Willow Smith) and run my fingers through my roots to add volume.


There are so many products out there for fine hair promising to add volume immediately. I, like many others, have tried quite a few of them. What I've learned through research and my own experience is that the less product you have in your hair, the better. Having too many products in your hair can really weigh it down and that is definitely not the look we are going for. In fact, 98% of the time, I have absolutely no product in my hair.


I hope these tips were helpful to some of you. It's frustrating enough to have fine hair, but to have oily hair on top of that is even more of a struggle. There is something everyone wants to change about themselves, and my hair is one of the things I would love to change about myself if I could. Throughout the years, I have learned to work with it and although it is never easy, it is what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment